Categories: Travel

Bangladesh Suspends Visa Services Amid Protests and Tensions with India, ETTravelWorld


New Delhi, Dec 19 (ANI): Security officials stand guard outside the Bangladesh High Commission following violent protests in Bangladesh after the death of leader Sharif Osman Hadi, in New Delhi on Friday. (ANI Photo)

Bangladesh has suspended visa services in its high commission in New Delhi and its mission in Tripura amid mounting strain in ties between the two countries.

The decision to suspend the visa services was taken after groups of protesters held demonstrations outside the two missions, people familiar with the matter said.

The Bangladesh high commission in New Delhi put out a public notice mentioning suspension of visa services in view of unavoidable circumstances.

The assistant high commission of Bangladesh in Tripura also made a similar announcement on the suspension of visa services after protests were held outside the mission on Sunday.

It is learnt that a private operator tasked by Dhaka to process visa applications in West Bengal’s Siliguri has also suspended its services.

Bangladesh has witnessed a fresh wave of unrest following the death of student leader Sharif Osman Hadi last week. Hadi was a prominent face in the anti-government protests that forced the collapse of the Sheikh Hasina government.

Some of the protesters last week also trained their anger against India.

Amid the fresh protests, a Hindu man, Dipu Chandra Das, was killed in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh.

On Thursday, a group of angry protesters tried to storm India’s assistant high commission in Chittagong. India subsequently suspended its visa services in the mission.

India on Wednesday summoned Bangladesh envoy Riaz Hamidullah and conveyed its strong concern over certain extremist elements announcing plans to create a security situation around the Indian mission in Dhaka.

India’s action followed after certain extremist elements announced plans to hold protests around the Indian high commission in Dhaka.

In a statement, the MEA said that India “completely rejects the false narrative” sought to be created by extremist elements regarding certain recent events in Bangladesh.

“It is unfortunate that the interim government has neither conducted a thorough investigation nor shared meaningful evidence with India regarding the incidents,” it said shortly after summoning Hamidullah.>

  • Published On Dec 23, 2025 at 12:02 AM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETTravelWorld industry right on your smartphone!






Source link

24timenews.com

Recent Posts

Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven: Fight predictions, odds, start time, undercard in Egypt

On Saturday, Oleksandr Usyk will take part in one of the most unique fights of…

9 hours ago

Is Honda Making A Prelude Type R?

Honda Australia boss dashes any hope of a Prelude Type R.   Honda designed the…

9 hours ago

Surprising study finds beef doesn’t worsen blood sugar or diabetes risk

More than 135 million adults in the United States either have type 2 diabetes (T2D)…

9 hours ago

Kaisi Ye Paheli

28/11/2025 Source link

19 hours ago

Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven odds, predictions: 2026 boxing picks by proven expert

The WBC heavyweight championship will be on the line when heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk battles…

19 hours ago

New Dodge Halo Sports Car Confirmed: Copperhead

Dodge is getting a new halo sports car called the Copperhead.   It appears to…

19 hours ago