Categories: Entertainment

Strait to crisis: Trump orders Hormuz blockade after talks sink


TOI Correspondent from Washington: US President Donald Trump on Sunday announced that the US Navy will begin a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz with immediate effect after a high-stakes diplomatic mission led by the Vice President J.D. Vance ended without an agreement with Iran after night-long talks in Pakistan.“The Blockade will begin shortly. Iran will not be allowed to profit off this Illegal Act of EXTORTION. They want money and, more importantly, they want Nuclear. Additionally and, at an appropriate moment, we are fully “LOCKED AND LOADED,” and our Military will finish up the little that is left of Iran!” Trump said in a post on Sunday hours after the fiasco in Islamabad that saw Vance head home without a deal.

Watch

Iran Fires Back At Trump’s Hormuz Blockade Plan; ‘Can’t Close A Closed Strait’

Any blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, by the US or by Iran or any other country, will almost certainly be illegal under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNLCOS) which deems it as a global waterway. While Trump himself has said the US will not be affected by the closure since it does very little business through it, a blockade will have serious economic consequences for China, India, Japan, and South Korea, each of which imports more than 50 per cent of its energy needs through this waterway. Indeed, while the blockade will strangle Iran’s oil revenues, it will also affect energy exports from Washington’s allies such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, and UAE, while allowing energy-rich US to profit from the crisis, something Trump has openly boasted about. “At some point, we will reach an “ALL BEING ALLOWED TO GO IN, ALL BEING ALLOWED TO GO OUT” basis, but Iran has not allowed that to happen by merely saying, “There may be a mine out there somewhere,” that nobody knows about but them. THIS IS WORLD EXTORTION, and Leaders of Countries, especially the United States of America, will never be extorted,” Trump said. He announced that he has instructed the US Navy to “seek and interdict every vessel in International Waters that has paid a toll to Iran” and “No one who pays an illegal toll will have safe passage on the high seas.While there is no clear evidence that specific countries are officially paying Iran tolls, there are reports of a murky, ad hoc system where individual ships or shipping companies—sometimes linked to certain countries—have quietly paid for safe passage. In any case, there was no toll system or extortion or a blockade of the straits, which accounts for 20 per cent of the global energy flow, before Israel and the US attacked Iran.



Source link

24timenews.com

Recent Posts

Why The Fiesta Had To Die In Europe

Ford is planning five new models for Europe between 2026 and 2029, marking a big…

4 hours ago

Scientists warn popular vitamin D supplement may have a “previously unknown” downside

Taking vitamin D2 might lower the body's levels of the more efficient form of vitamin…

4 hours ago

Will Chrysler Build SUVs Under $30,000?

Stellantis is launching two new cars in the United States that will start at under…

14 hours ago

Scientists discover giant sea predator Tylosaurus rex that terrorized ancient oceans

Scientists have identified a massive new species of mosasaur, a marine reptile that lived alongside…

14 hours ago

Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven: Fight predictions, odds, start time, undercard in Egypt

On Saturday, Oleksandr Usyk will take part in one of the most unique fights of…

1 day ago

Is Honda Making A Prelude Type R?

Honda Australia boss dashes any hope of a Prelude Type R.   Honda designed the…

1 day ago